The Cleveland POPS Orchestra announces its fourteenth annual
Jean L. Petitt Memorial Music Scholarship Competition
on Sunday, November 4, 2012
The competition will take place from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 4, 2012 in room 177 of the Classical Piano Performance Academy at the East Education Center of Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C) Eastern Campus, located at 4250 Richmond Rd., Highland Heights Village, Ohio. Click here for map and directions to Tri-C. Click here for campus map. Click here to locate Room 177 of the East Education Center.
The competition is open to all children up to age 18. Entry is open to musicians, vocalists and dancers. Contestants must be prepared to perform a full-length piece from memory. Selections must be drawn from standard pops music repertoire, including songs, dances or instrumental solos found in Broadway musicals, big band arrangements, jazz or light classics.
- Applicants must be current
residents and attend school in the counties of Cuyahoga,
Lake, Geauga, Portage, Summit, Medina or Lorain.
- Performance styles
may include music from musical theater, light classics, popular
standards, jazz, big band and swing.
- The winner will perform with
The Cleveland Pops Orchestra at Severance Hall at one of Cleveland
Pops' regularly scheduled concerts (as determined by conductor
- The winner will also receive a scholarship cash
award of $500.
- Applications must be received at the Cleveland
Pops Orchestra no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 26, 2012.
sure to read the competition rules before
requesting an application form. The application form is now available
online in PDF format:
||To view and print the PDF, you will need Adobe
Reader which is a free download from Adobe Systems. Once
you've downloaded and installed Adobe Reader, simply fill
out the application and mail it with written approval from
your parent or guardian to:
Gordon L. Petitt, Scholarship Administrator
Jean L. Petitt Memorial Scholarship Competition
24000 Mercantile Road, Unit 8
Cleveland, OH 44122
Or, send by fax to (216) 765-1931 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications can also be obtained by writing to the address above.
- 2012 - Jiana Peng, piano
- 2011 - Kaley Ann Voorhees, vocalist; Sophia Madorsky, vocalist
- 2010 - James Thompson, violin
- 2009 - Alexis Floyd, vocalist
- 2008 - Sarah Arnold, violin
- 2007 - Chad Hoopes, violin; Meredith Kochan, vocalist
- 2006 - Caroline Goulding, violin
- 2005 - Jerry Lang, II, piano
- 2004 - Annie Marie Sivertson, vocalist
- 2003 - Yihao Wu, piano
- 2002 - Shantelle Jackson and Antonio Brown, dancers; Lisa
Moore, vocalist; Riley Richard, saxophone
- 2001-02 - Robbie Spackey, saxophone
- 2001 - Gina DiBello , violin; Kelly Pekar, vocalist (Kelly's resume)
- 2000 - Nicholas DiEugenio , violin
If you have further questions, please
contact the Cleveland Pops Orchestra at (216) 765-7677, or by e-mail
Your tax-deductible gift to the Jean
L. Petitt Memorial Music Scholarship Fund is
an investment in the future of fine music. Your gift will be
acknowledged in the 2009-2010 Cleveland Pops program book. Please send your contribution
to the address listed above. You may also Donate Online.