20th Annual Music Scholarship Competition Announced
Cleveland Pops seeks top teen talent
Cleveland, OH – July 5, 2018: The Cleveland POPS Orchestra announces the twentieth annual competition for its Jean L. Petitt Memorial Music Scholarship.
This year’s competition will be held on Sunday, November 4, 2018, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. in Room 113 at The Cleveland Institute of Music, 11021 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.
The scholarship is designed to give recognition and encouragement to musically gifted teens through the opportunity to perform on stage with the Cleveland POPS Orchestra and receive a cash award to be applied to their continuing studies.
Entry is open to all youth up to age 18 residing and attending high school in the seven-county Greater Cleveland region. Contestants can be singers, dancers or instrumentalists. They must be prepared to perform a full-length musical selection from memory. Choice of selection may be drawn from standard popular music repertoire, including songs, dances or instrumental solos found in Broadway musicals, big band arrangements, jazz or light classics.
The grand prize winner of the competition will perform with the Cleveland POPS Orchestra at one of their regularly scheduled concerts at Severance Hall or PlayhouseSquare. The winner will also receive a $500 cash award.
Applications must be received at the Cleveland POPS office no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 2, 2018. Call Gordon Petitt at 216-765-7677 or Email to email@example.com for information. Full details, including rules and application form can be found online at http://www.clevelandpops.com/scholarship.htm
The Jean L. Petitt Memorial Music Scholarship is open to instrumentalists, vocalists and dancers up to age 18. Applicants must be current residents and currently attend school in one of the following Ohio counties: Cuyahoga, Lake, Geauga, Portage, Summit, Medina or Lorain.
Applicants must be prepared to perform a suitable piece from musical theater, popular standards, big band, jazz, or light classics. More details can be had by reading competition rules.
To apply, download the Application & Rules Form, fill it out, and send to the Cleveland POPS office no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday, November 2, 2018. The application may be printed and mailed/faxed or filled out as a PDF and emailed to Gordon L. Petitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cleveland POPS Orchestra
24000 Mercantile Rd., Unit #8
Beachwood, OH 44122
Fax: (216) 765-1931
The grand prize winner of the competition must be willing, able and available to perform a solo with The Cleveland POPS Orchestra during one of its regular concerts at Severance Hall, as determined by Conductor Carl Topilow. A cash prize of $500 will also be awarded to the grand prize winner.
- 2017 – Kate Klika, vocalist; Célina Bethoux, violin
- 2016 – Phoenix Avalon, violin; J.R. Heckman, vocalist Press: https://goo.gl/VmEdP6
- 2015 – Hannah Kulawiak, vocalist; Sean Yongjoo Lim, violin
- 2014 – Jieming Tang, violin
- 2013 – Lewis Zou, piano; Maria Beltavski, violin
- 2012 – Jiana Peng, piano
- 2011 – Kaley Ann Voorhees, vocalist; Sophia Madorsky, vocalist
- 2010 – James Thompson, violin
- 2009 – Alexis Floyd, vocalist
- 2008 – Sarah Arnold, violin
- 2007 – Chad Hoopes, violin; Meredith Kochan, vocalist
- 2006 – Caroline Goulding, violin
- 2005 – Jerry Lang, II, piano
- 2004 – Annie Marie Sivertson, vocalist
- 2003 – Yihao Wu, piano
- 2002 – Shantelle Jackson and Antonio Brown, dancers; Lisa Moore, vocalist; Riley Richard, saxophone
- 2001-02 – Robbie Spackey, saxophone
- 2001 – Gina DiBello, violin; Kelly Pekar, vocalist
- 2000 – Nicholas DiEugenio, violin
If you have further questions, please contact the Cleveland Pops Orchestra at (216) 765-7677, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Your tax-deductible gift to the Jean L. Petitt Memorial Music Scholarship Fund is an investment in the future of fine music. Your gift will be acknowledged in the Cleveland Pops program book. Please send your contribution to the address listed above.